The use of motor and 4×4 vehicles on the ‘green lanes’ is an emotive issue, and is offen a source of complaint by residents and visitors alike. Irresponsible and illegal use of these green lane had make the situation worse.
The National Park Authority has worked with the Trail Riders Fellowship (TRF), county councils and conservation bodies to produce guidance to all user of green lanes in 4×4’s. The Mains points to follow are:
- Use only motor vehicular rights of way. It is illegal to drive on footpaths, bridleways, restricted byways or over open land without the owners permission;
- Make sure you and your vehicle are fully road legal
- Be courteous to other users and landowners
- Travel slowly and in small groups
- Keep to the defined track
- Exercise restraint in the use of unsurfaced routes in wet conditions
- Help protect wildlife, especially ground nesting birds
Irresponsible use of green lanes and damaging green lanes by churning them up or leaving the track and damaging the moors has lead to many green lanes in the North East being closed off to Vehicles.
Please use green lanes responsible and help keep them open for us all to us!